Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Personal Stories: Shimon

Taking Charge:
“Although I was over 50 years old, I was completely dependent on my sister when it came to making any important decisions. When I wanted to go on a trip, she was the one who decided whether I could go and what time I should get back. Even my personal bank account was in her name. Here I was: middle aged, intelligent but not able to run my own life – and I hated it! The Deaf-Blind Center helped me change my life. They helped me understand how many aspects of my life could be much more accessible to me. And as I participated in the psychodrama group here, I gained the self-confidence to stand up to my sister and tell her that I was an adult and I could take care of myself! Now, I’m happy to say, I make my own decisions and take care of my own finances.”

No comments:

Post a Comment